Friday, September 23, 2011

Yesterday, I was in a temple and after taking prasad, I was looking around to sit and then found a place where I can sit. At the same time, there was other lady (who haven't observed me) occupied the place by putting her bag and in few seconds, she realized that I am also trying to sit there. As she saw me as pregnant, she said "Please sit" and then took one fruit from her bag and gave it to me. When I said Thanks to her offer, she blessed saying "You will have a baby boy". I said "I don't mind who ever it is (boy/girl)". May be, she haven't expected this reply and so said "I don't know. It just came out of my heart".

Some one was saying that one of her daughter wanted daughter when she was pregnant but when son is born, after hearing the people's response, they were happy that it is a boy. Some how, I still don't understand why is this discrimination even in this generation. For me, it doesn't matter.

My dad never treated us separately from my brother. We got same options in education that my brother got. So, I never felt any such difference. And if I see people preferring boy for this simple reason that other people are also preferring, I just tried to act opposite and say I want a baby girl. :) Surprising is that many ladies prefer boys over girls!!! And, then I saw this image in FB and felt how true it is




You need mom, wife,sister then why don't you want a girl?
Update: Finally, what that lady said on that day became true. It's a boy. Grown up now. :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

People at the outset say they dont have any discrimination about gender(esp. educated ppl with strict family cultures and rules), but still they prefer boy to girl (90-95%). Frankly, here (india) there are certain reasons why it is so:
1. social security.
2. society (neighborhood & family relations).
3. and now the imp thing is dowry in south India.
4. Family heir.

Few more generations and good environment are required to eliminate gender bias completely. But at-least for a family a boy and a girl will give lot of strength, happiness, and security. (these are just my views as I learned lot of lessons as a brother).

A funny thing happened recently when my family blessed with a baby girl. In the same hospital, one family blessed with a baby boy and at the same time we are blessed with a baby girl. People around the operation theater (including their family, in-laws, sister, few ladies) congratulated the father like any thing and later they just smiled at me. For a second, all my happiness evaporated and later I felt these situations are not uncommon. The only thing we must care about is for healthy generations.

/Srinivas

Pallavi Palleti said...

Congratulations to both of you for becoming parents. Yes, It still needs lot many generation changes I guess. Recently, I heard that people opting out for ayurvedic medicine to have a baby boy!!!! I was shocked to hear this and people are really crazy even in this generation!!

HelloWorld said...

Very true.. Happy countdown :-)

JLTan said...

How true

Shahana Shafiuddin said...

I like the words written in the poster